For pet lovers, the holidays wouldn’t be complete unless our furry friends took part in the season’s festivities. But while we celebrate, we still have to make sure we’re keeping them safe. What may seem safe to us, might actually be harmful to them so we found some tips to follow that will keep them healthy and happy.
If hosting a holiday party is in your near future, be conscious of your fur baby’s needs. For example, make sure he or she has a quiet space to retreat to in case s/he feels shy or overwhelmed. Make sure the space has fresh water and a place to snuggle, so your kitty or pup can be comfortable and hide out until all the loud humans have cleared out. And if your New Year’s party includes confetti, fireworks or even poppers, keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines (this can mean surgery—no fun for anyone involved), while the noise that poppers produce can scare pets and/or damage sensitive ears.
With a Christmas tree, make sure it’s securely anchored so it doesn’t tip and fall—possibly onto your pet. This also prevents tree water, which could contain fertilizers that could upset your pet’s stomach, from dripping all over. You don’t need a sick and nauseous pet in the middle of a party. Ick. Holly and mistletoe can also cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Best bet? Stick with artificial plants, and keep tinsel and candles out of the picture as well. Too many hazards to list!
This is your furry bestie we’re talking about here, so of course, he or she will be getting treats during the holidays. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible. Watching your kitty play with a bit of ribbon or yarn is super cute, but again, if swallowed, you might wind up dealing with an expensive surgery bill when it gets stuck in your cat’s intestines. Try a new ball that’s too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer.
Libations are also a natural part of the season for many, so it’s important to make sure that any alcoholic drink left unattended is out of reach for pets. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure. Definitely be sure to keep some human foods away from pets as well, especially chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol. And while this knowledge isn’t as common, fatty, spicy food, as well as bones, should not be given to your furry babies. So keep food away, and secure the lids on garbage cans.