Moving Checklist for Buyers
Just found out your moving date? Whether it is two weeks or two months from now, here is a helpful checklist to keep you on track for the big day.
Select Moving Company
- Get estimates from moving companies
- Select mover and confirm date of move
- Post Office - give forwarding address
- Credit Card, Charge Accounts
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer Funds
- Arrange accounts in new location
- Arrange credit references
- Transfer safe deposit box
- Notify companies of change
Utility Companies (see our comprehensive list of utilities)
- Recover any deposits from your current accounts
- Order service for gas, electricity, water, phone, fuel garbage and sewer, as needed
- TV, Internet, Cable
- Laundry, newspaper, etc.
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions
- Obtain complete records from current providers
- Establish new relationships
- Transfer records/transcripts
- Register at new school(s)
- Obtain current records - vaccinations, rabies, spay/neuter certificates
- Get new licenses and tags
Don't Forget To:
- Empty freezer, plan use of food
- Defrost freezer, clean refrigerator
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving
- Plan for special care for pets, plants
- Check with moving counselor re: insurance coverage, packing and unpacking services, arrival day, shipping papers, method and time of expected payment
And on Moving Day
- Be sure you have access to funds to pay the movers and cover your other expenses
- Carry jewelry and critical documents yourself
- Give a close friend or relative your travel plans and schedule
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure you don't leave anything behind
Where do I go next?
McEnearney Associates compiled a list of local utility companies and home services that will help you get started in your new home.
Visit the Advanced Search page to find properties throughout Washington DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland.