Moving Checklist for Buyers
Just found out your moving date? Whether it is two weeks or two months from now, here is a helpful checklist to keep you on track for the big day.
Select Moving Company
- Get estimates from moving companies
- Select mover and confirm date of move
- Post Office - give forwarding address
- Credit Card, Charge Accounts
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer Funds
- Arrange accounts in new location
- Arrange credit references
- Transfer safe deposit box
- Notify companies of change
Utility Companies (see our comprehensive list of utilities)
- Recover any deposits from your current accounts
- Order service for gas, electricity, water, phone, fuel garbage and sewer, as needed
- TV, Internet, Cable
- Laundry, newspaper, etc.
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions
- Obtain complete records from current providers
- Establish new relationships
- Transfer records/transcripts
- Register at new school(s)
- Obtain current records - vaccinations, rabies, spay/neuter certificates
- Get new licenses and tags
Don't Forget To:
- Empty freezer, plan use of food
- Defrost freezer, clean refrigerator
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving
- Plan for special care for pets, plants
- Check with moving counselor re: insurance coverage, packing and unpacking services, arrival day, shipping papers, method and time of expected payment
And on Moving Day
- Be sure you have access to funds to pay the movers and cover your other expenses
- Carry jewelry and critical documents yourself
- Give a close friend or relative your travel plans and schedule
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure you don't leave anything behind
Where do I go next?
Visit the Advanced Search page to find properties throughout Washington DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland.
McEnearney Associates compiled a list of local utility companies and home services that will help you get started in your new home.